This summer, there are many good opportunities for printers or people who want to be printers to learn new skills or brush up on old ones. I'll focus here on two in New York.
First up is the Wells Book Arts Summer Institute, located in Western New York, which features two sessions in July:
Session 1: July 9 to 15
- Peter Bain, "Stems and Beziers: An Introduction to Typeface Design"
- Shanna Leino, "Late Coptic Bookbinding"
- Katherine McCanless Ruffin, "Hand-set Type: The Sublime Process of Letterpress Printing"
Session 2: July 16 to July 22
- Cheryl Jacobsen, "Obedient Servant/Expressive Voice: Exploring the Spectrum of Calligraphic Art"
- Margot Ecke, "The Girdle Book"
- Robin Price, "Chance Operations and Fine Printing: 17 things you need to know as a poet"
Classes are filling up, so make sure to get yourself registered quickly.
For those in the New York City area (or who are looking for an excuse to go there), Intima Press offers a slew of classes:
- COLLAGE WORKSHOP, Sat/Sun, June 3 & 4
- INTRO TO ARTIST’S BOOK EDITIONS, Sat/Sun, June 10 & 11
- INTRODUCTION TO LETTERPRESS, Thursday, June 29, 5:30-9:00PM
- THE PRINTED POEM: BROADSIDE EDITION, F/S/S June 23,24,25
- INTERMED/ADV ARTIST’S BOOK, Mon eves, June 12, 19, 26, July 10
- MINIATURE BOOK EDITION, Fri eve/Sat/Sun, July 7, 8, 9
- BLOCK PRINTING LINOCUT, Sat, August 5
To register (or for additional information), go to www.StudioOnTheSq.com or call 917-412-4134.
If you do register for any of these classes, tell them that you heard about it on Fine Press News as this will surely confuse them.